[FOSS4G-Oceania] Letter of Intent to host FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019 in Wellington, NZ

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 22:38:58 PST 2018

I think that Daniel has put together a compelling preliminary proposal
for Wellington. Without an alternative proposal being put forward, I
think that we as a committee should commit in principle to backing
Wellington, leaving open an unlikely possibility of moving to an
alternative location if further investigation uncovers show-stopper
problems (such as exorbitant venue fees).

I think this can be phrased by Daniel at our FOSS4G closing ceremony
using words like:

/Us folks at Wellington are in the process of planning to host FOSS4G
Oceania 2019./

/<We are still in early stages of planning, but details about what we
have locked in so far are ...>/

/<pitch for how wonderful Wellington is to visit>/

/<We hope you will all join us>/

On 12/11/18 10:37 pm, Trisha Moriarty wrote:

> Daniel,
> I would like to be involved in some form, and in the short termĀ  I
> would be more then happy to share what we have learnt from running the
> workshops with the new committee/workshop lead.
> Trisha
>
> On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 8:06 PM Daniel Silk <dwsilk at gmail.com
> <mailto:dwsilk at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     There are three venues I'd like to consider more thoroughly before
>     making a final decision:
>
>     Tiakiwai at the National Library - brand new 170 capacity
>     theatreĀ + breakout rooms
>     Soundings Theatre at Te Papa Tongawera (Museum of New Zealand) -
>     328 capacity theatre with a lot of other spaces
>     <https://www.tepapa.govt.nz/visit/venues/te-papa-venues-conferences-functions-and-meeting-rooms>
>     Pipitea Campus of Victoria University of Wellington - recently
>     renovated with a 300 seat lecture theatre and another 6 theatres
>     between 50-150, the campus also includes one of the largest wooden
>     buildings in the world, the historic Government Buildings.
>

>     On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 3:58 PM John Bryant <johnwbryant at gmail.com
>     <mailto:johnwbryant at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         Amazing work Daniel, this looks great to me. I love the idea
>         of having the event in New Zealand next year, and I'm
>         confident it would be a huge success. I'll be keen to help out
>         as much as I can, once I've recovered from this year :)
>
>         I have a question. It seems likely that an event in Wellington
>         would attract a smaller audience than one in Melbourne, due to
>         a smaller population in the immediate area. However, we also
>         underestimated demand for this year's event, and we're a bit
>         tight on space. The provisional venue in your letter sounds
>         like it has a limit of 170 for plenary sessions in the
>         auditorium. Would you see having some kind of contingency plan
>         in case registrations exceed that number?
>
>         Thanks
>         John

Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier