[FOSS4G-Oceania] Letter of Intent to host FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019 in Wellington, NZ

Daniel Silk dwsilk at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 03:52:26 PST 2018

Something along those lines sounds good - I don't think we should be too
detailed in the announcement as there will definitely be things that we
need to reflect on once Melbourne is done and dusted.

Having said that, it would be awesome to ensure we keep momentum by making
our captive audience aware of an effort toward doing it all again in 2019.

I can't make the meeting this Friday but look forward to hearing the
outcomes of the discussion there. I'd also be happy to put together a few
slides for the announcement and work with John to incorporate those into
the closing comments.

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 7:39 PM Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I think that Daniel has put together a compelling preliminary proposal for
> Wellington. Without an alternative proposal being put forward, I think that
> we as a committee should commit in principle to backing Wellington, leaving
> open an unlikely possibility of moving to an alternative location if
> further investigation uncovers show-stopper problems (such as exorbitant
> venue fees).
>
> I think this can be phrased by Daniel at our FOSS4G closing ceremony using
> words like:
>
> *Us folks at Wellington are in the process of planning to host FOSS4G
> Oceania 2019.*
>
> *<We are still in early stages of planning, but details about what we have
> locked in so far are ...>*
>
> *<pitch for how wonderful Wellington is to visit>*
>
> *<We hope you will all join us>*
> On 12/11/18 10:37 pm, Trisha Moriarty wrote:
>

> Daniel,
> I would like to be involved in some form, and in the short term  I would
> be more then happy to share what we have learnt from running the workshops
> with the new committee/workshop lead.
> Trisha
>
> On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 8:06 PM Daniel Silk <dwsilk at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> There are three venues I'd like to consider more thoroughly before making
>> a final decision:
>>
>> Tiakiwai at the National Library - brand new 170 capacity theatre +
>> breakout rooms
>> Soundings Theatre at Te Papa Tongawera (Museum of New Zealand) - 328
>> capacity theatre with a lot of other spaces
>> <https://www.tepapa.govt.nz/visit/venues/te-papa-venues-conferences-functions-and-meeting-rooms>
>> Pipitea Campus of Victoria University of Wellington - recently renovated
>> with a 300 seat lecture theatre and another 6 theatres between 50-150, the
>> campus also includes one of the largest wooden buildings in the world, the
>> historic Government Buildings.
>>

>> On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 3:58 PM John Bryant <johnwbryant at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Amazing work Daniel, this looks great to me. I love the idea of having
>>> the event in New Zealand next year, and I'm confident it would be a huge
>>> success. I'll be keen to help out as much as I can, once I've recovered
>>> from this year :)
>>>
>>> I have a question. It seems likely that an event in Wellington would
>>> attract a smaller audience than one in Melbourne, due to a smaller
>>> population in the immediate area. However, we also underestimated demand
>>> for this year's event, and we're a bit tight on space. The provisional
>>> venue in your letter sounds like it has a limit of 170 for plenary sessions
>>> in the auditorium. Would you see having some kind of contingency plan in
>>> case registrations exceed that number?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> John