[FOSS4G-Oceania] Motion: extended, targeted call for papers if needed

adam steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 13:44:12 PDT 2018

Hi all

Sure, continue the community vote and see how it goes.

As it stands, we can accept all of the talks submitted by women and still
not even meet our Twitter audience on gender lines (which is also pretty
skewed one way). We have talked about curating the talks for diversity
after the vote (it's ok, the vote is not binding), and need enough talks
from different cohorts to do this!

With this in mind, i still vote to extend a CFP for specific cohorts - with
perhaps a second community vote (if it isn't to hard to set up).

Happy to craft all the required media parts and help with an extra voting
round. It's important!

I think it isn't time to throw our hands up or make jokes, we can do
better. I'm personally disappointed that my own efforts don't seem to be
effective, and need to reflect on my communication and how I can reach into
other communities.

Thnx, and let's keep rallying! Again, super keen to hear from the women on
the list (thanks Tricia for your considered input!)

Adam