[FOSS4G-Oceania] Motion: extended, targeted call for papers if needed

Sarah Goodwin sarah.goodwin at monash.edu
Thu Sep 6 19:04:56 PDT 2018

Hi,

My email definitely went to the thread, but there have been a lot in here -
so not surprised it was missed.

I am certainly not for "talks by women for women" or accepting any
submissions blindly. This discussion was about wanting to diversify the
speakers, not special treatment or the need for certain demographics to be
singled out.

I personally don't see the problem with already having 8 of 50+, I think
this is okay as I pointed out there are far fewer women in the community.
This is to be expected.

But if we do want to diversify speakers than we can certainly try if we run
an extended CfP but then we just need to be clear and honest about the
reasons and if you only open it for the demographic you are encouraging
then you increase the submissions from that demographic only. Else we end
up with the same problem in a couple of weeks time... If we get no more
submissions from a second round that's okay too! But at least it showed an
intention to try.

To keep things fair though - we could finish the second round call, after
the first voting round is finished and then actually place the new
submissions from round 2 with the submissions that didn't quite meet the
cut from round 1 - because we retained say 5 (N) slots for the second
round. If all the first round ones get the highest votes again, then that's
okay too - and they get in. but it might feel a waste of effort ...but at
least we are not saying that the second round group got any special
treatment - as it seems to be.

Hope that makes sense,

Sarah