[FOSS4G-Oceania] Motion: extended, targeted call for papers if needed

adam steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 21:48:57 PDT 2018

last words from me (feel free to have more last words):

Firstly - apologies for being less than constructive in this conversation.
While I think it is absolutely critical that we challenge certain
assumptions, there are better ways to communicate those challenges. (here
is my excuse book coming out now) After more than 20 years in the workforce
in various industries, I am extremely tired of hearing a few dogmatic
principles repeated over and again, or certain issues being treated as ’too
hard’ or ‘we only just thought of this’ - and I can/should do better at
explaining why instead of reacting/being triggered. I’m impatient for
change.

Whatever my frustrations, this group is not the place to target.

I don’t think it’s too late to hustle this time, but appreciate that we’re
volunteers and all doing a lot already; and see mountains of work already
ahead. And there are, as Alex has pointed out, other ways in which we can
help shape the program.

I would love to see this conference grow to take an active role in showing
the community we want, rather than reflecting the community that exists (or
existed whenever ago). It’s how we create the change we want in the world!

Cheers, and thanks for listening

Adam