[FOSS4G-Oceania] Motion: logo permission

Alex Leith alexgleith at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 18:33:04 PDT 2018

I think the points that Martin is raising are important, and there are a
lot of things like the logo copyright question that we really should handle
formally.

But, we are a small group of volunteers, and we need to be pragmatic!

I think we have achieved a good balance with John's motion here.

+1

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 at 09:51 John Bryant <johnwbryant at gmail.com> wrote:

> Apologies for rushing this - fair point that we should respect work/life
> balance. My keenness to keep moving is motivated by a sense of a growing
> amount of work, and a shrinking amount of time. Let's extend the discussion
> here, and re-frame the motion if needed.
>
> Generally speaking, I have no problem with the idea of adding a licence to
> the use of the logo, but formalising a decision process, with a licence,
> publicly stated position, etc is a major task. I'm concerned about the
> possibility of this falling by the wayside, if no one steps up to do the
> work. I argue that this is a great medium-term governance objective
> (similar to establishing a steering committee), but with 57 days to go, we
> need to be judicious about adding immediate things to our TODO list, there
> is much to do.
>
> Yet at the same time, we cannot cease to act. The motion at hand doesn't
> address all of Martin's points, but it's presented in the spirit of
> compromise. Is there another way we can practically achieve this?

Alex Leith
0419 189 050