[FOSS4G-Oceania] Board roles

adam steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 00:49:19 PST 2019

Hey John, thanks for keeping this rolling! Perhaps you should nominate
yourself for a leading role.

I think the timing is good, and blends ‘urgency for 2019 committeefolk’
with ‘time for good decision making’ well.

Last year I said I would be interested in chairing the board. However, I
want to moderate that: I think that John really should be given this
opportunity to chair the inaugural board, energy permitting. Secondly, I
also feel a little like Cameron. I’m the old guard, and may be best
deployed as an advisor on the sidelines; keeping some history in the mix.

Having said that - if we need an election, as in more than one choice, I’ll
reiterate my willingness to occupy the chair. If that happens, I’d also
love a co-chair who isn’t like me.

What’s my vision for chair? Well, fill some massive shoes. As we’ve done in
the past twelve months, draw on the experience of everyone here to build a
strong and open foundation for the community in the region to build on.

…and get this banner in my lounge room put up here and there at key
opportunities :D

Finally, if we end up with a manel for self-nominations, I’ll withdraw.
It’s 2018.

…and to everyone reading, if it helps, I’m shitting bricks about nominating
myself to chair this thing. I’ve never chaired a board in my life before. I
might completely suck at it, I’m sitting here thinking ‘ah crap, nobody
will vote for me’ and also coming up with an excuse-a-word about reasons I
couldn’t do it.

So please. If you have even a quarter of a fifteenth of a thought saying
‘ohyeah I’d love to nominate..’ hit send to the stuff you’ve typed NOW
before your brain gets to ‘….but...’ and you delete it all.

Cheers

Adam

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 at 10:15, John Bryant <johnwbryant at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey everyone, hope you've all had a good break, and are ready for big
> things in 2019!
>
> Just picking up where we left off, our first order of business as a new
> board is to fill roles to form an executive - specifically, a President,
> Secretary, and Treasurer. There's no provision in the Terms of
> Reference for a Vice President, but the idea has been raised - perhaps if
> someone is keen to fill a VP role and can mount a compelling argument for
> it, we should consider it. See the ToR roles
> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KkUl-qwb2pE5OomHy-0RwKSsXJDOkFx0dpW6Dhfv624/edit#heading=h.cdxj74k5kfyx>
> for reference.
>
> By way of a process, I suggest this:
> - over the next week to Monday 14 Jan, we take nominations in this email
> thread
> - over the subsequent week to Monday 21 Jan, we vote using something like Election
> Buddy <https://electionbuddy.com/> (I'm happy to set it up under the
> admin at foss4g-oceania.org acct, or if someone else wants to propose an
> alternative please feel free)
> - we appoint based on the vote
>
> It may seem like a bit of overkill, but I feel we're setting the stage for
> an organisation that needs transparency and good systems to thrive. The
> timing is such that those who need weekdays and those who need weekends for
> this stuff will have ample chance to participate.
>
> For nominations, a brief note on how you see the role, and what you hope
> to bring to it, should suffice. We already have nominations from Alex and
> Adam, perhaps worth reiterating them in this thread for posterity.
>
> Sound good?
>
> John

Dr. Adam Steer
http://spatialised.net