[FOSS4G-Oceania] GHG mitigation and FOSS4G SotM Oceania

adam steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 02:13:31 PDT 2019

Hi folks

Following from an earlier discussion [1] on osgeo-oceania about offsetting
emissions which are incurred by getting to FOSS4G SotM Oceania, there’s
been a long chat in the Maptime Australia slack channel about creating a
low-carbon conference.

This has also been raised as an issue for the global FOSS4G [2].

The upshot of the conversation is that we’re looking at ways to mitigate
our impact on the planet using something other than throwing money at
offsetters [3].

With that in mind, I’ve sent enquiries to Bush Heritage Australia [4] and
the NZ Native Forest Regeneration Trust [5] about donating an amount to
work toward landscape-scale forest and biodiversity restoration - since
buying acres of maybe-never-planted monoculture is really not a solution
(see [3]).

The idea is that the conference uses some of its budget (amount TBA) to
‘offset’ the event. Since the event is in NZ, the main carbon source is air
travel - so I’ll do some modelling work to estimate travel GHG emissions,
based initially on 2018 attendees and refining as we go.

If you have any useful tools to hand for that task to hand, I’d appreciate
hearing about them (or better! collaboration!). John Bryant already
suggested this one:
https://www.icao.int/environmental-protection/CarbonOffset/Pages/default.aspx

If you know any other ‘boots on ground’ organisations we should consider,
also please let us know.

Regards

Adam

[1] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/foss4g-oceania/2019-April/001348.html