[FOSS4G-Oceania] carbon offsets

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 17:48:06 PDT 2019

Hi all,

There has been a bit of interesting discussion on the conference_dev OSGeo
mailing list about environmental sustainability, and carbon footprint in
particular.

Wondering how people feel about using carbon offsets for FOSS4G SotM
Oceania 2019? We could either make it optional for people to add them to
their registration, or we could purchase them to offset the whole event,
and find a way to pay for it.

I don't yet have a clear idea of the cost, but this website
<https://www.terrapass.com/meeting-mythbusters-cost-carbon-accountibility>
says:

> *The reality is the typical cost to offset an entire conference attendee’s
> footprint including air travel is less than $20. And depending on your
> convention demographics, event duration and quality of offset, may be under
> $10 per attendee.*

So we're looking at a total cost of maybe $2000 - 3000. Probably a little
early to make any real decision about this, but was curious to know if
people think this is potentially a good idea?

Cheers
John