[FOSS4G-UK] Notes from FOSS4G:UK 2023 Meeting 26th July

Dan Ormsby dormsby at sparkgeo.com
Fri Aug 4 04:47:56 PDT 2023

Hi all,

Just thinking a bit more about agenda timings (specifically I was looking
at how much speaking time we might need at local venues).  I presume we
need to have consistent local session timings across all venues, so that
streaming etc is in synch.

Personally I feel that sessions that are around an hour and a half long
with breaks in between works about right, probably with a "proper" coffee /
networking break in the morning, 45 min lunch (an hour always seems a bit
more than necessary), and a short 15 min comfort / leg stretch / breather
in the afternoon.  So, how about this below.  Any thoughts?  We'd have to
keep local session 3 to tight timing to allow for reconvening for the
keynote and tech swap over, unless those two sessions were swapped?  In
total that would give 180 mins of local sessions (6 x 30 min talks, or
equivalent).

Start End Agenda
09:00 09:30 Arrivals
09:30 10:00 Local welcome
10:00 10:30 Helen McKenzie (20-25+5-10) geospatial evangelising
10:30 11:00 Local session 1
11:00 11:30 Coffee / networking break
11:30 13:00 Local session 2
13:00 13:45 Lunch
13:45 14:45 Local session 3
14:45 15:15 Ujaval Gandhi (20-25+5-10) geospatial career (google -> open)
15:15 15:30 Break
15:30 16:30 FOSS4G 2013 Panel Session
1 x 5 min intro
4 x 10 min recordings - 7/8 min?
15 min questions / discussions
Barry - Steven Can we change the name of the panel to 10 Years After?
16:30 16:45 wrap up, thank you

On Wed, 26 Jul 2023 at 15:39, Nick Bearman <
nick at geospatialtrainingsolutions.co.uk> wrote:

> TLDR;
> - Tech meeting tomorrow (Thurs) 2-3pm. Ask Nick for details.
> - We will extend the Call for Talks to Mon 7th August 2023. Website and
> Google Form updated. List emailed.
> - Promote new Call for Talks deadline on social media - all.
> - Agreed to buy OSGeo:UK and FOSS4G:UK stickers.
> - Discussion around t-shirts. Plan to upload a template and people to
> buy their own. Further discussion via email list.
> - Next meeting Tue 8th Aug 12-1, https://meet.google.com/yuv-rqte-sku
>
> Hi All,
>
> Here are some notes from our meeting today.
>
> Venues (check sponsors on sheet)
> - Glasgow - To confirm catering with Tom Armitage with catering - Idox.
> - Lancaster - To check with Barry
> - Keyworth - all fine.
> - Maynooth - room and catering all good.
> - London - Geovation room, catering - Geolytix, £500
> - Swansea - venue fine.
> - Basingstoke - all fine, Geoxphere.
> - Bristol - venue fine, catering, also ok.
>
> Website - thanks to Barry.
>
> Call for Talks
> - extend call for talks to Mon 7th. Al.
>
> Keynotes:
>
> Ujaval Gandhi (PM) Yes
> - topics
> - two options - agreed: geospatial career (google -> open).
>
> Helen McKenzie (AM) Yes
> - topics
> - agreed geospatial evangelising
>
> FOSS4G 2013 Panel (PM, after keynote) - NB to confirm details with Barry.
>
> Approx Schedule TBC:
> 09:30am - Local welcome
> 10:00am - 10:30am - Helen McKenzie (20-25+5-10)
>      geospatial evangelising
> 10:30am - 3pm - Local
> 3:00pm - 3:30pm Ujaval Gandhi (20-25+5-10)
>      geospatial career (google -> open)
> 3:30pm - 4:30pm - FOSS4G 2013 Panel Session
>      1 x 5 min intro
>      4 x 10 min recordings - 7/8 min?
>      15 min questions / discussions
>      Barry - Steven Can we change the name of the panel to 10 Years After?
> 4:30pm - 4:45pm - wrap up, thank you
>
> Registration / Ticket sales update
> - 52 registered, of which 6 using free ticket codes.
> - 6 free (4 Bristol, 1 Keyworth, 1 Glasgow)
>
> Online attendance
> - online focus?
> - be clear about what we are offering - youtube, matrix
> - call them observers rather than participants.
>
> Marketing
> Swag
> Stickers - Yes, OSGeo:UK & FOSS4G UK
> - pay centrally.
> Free t-shirts for speakers
> - redbubble - buy your self.
> - steven - UK based - buy it yourself.
> - explore options and share via emails
>
> Tech
> - meeting Amy tomorrow (Thu) 2-3PM.
>
> Sponsorship
> - Meta - Interested, reached out via LinkedIn from FOSS4G 2022, Said.
> - Turing, emailed 25th July.
> - ESRI NB to follow up.
>
> AOB
>
> Next Meeting
> [...]

I’m Dan Ormsby, UK Lead at *Sparkgeo*.

We provide geospatial expertise to tech companies.

Reach me at dormsby at sparkgeo.com or on LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/danielormsby/>

+44 7880794939