[FOSS4G-UK] A star speaker on the commons

Ramanan Selvaratnam rama at ukfsn.org
Tue Mar 28 04:21:30 PDT 2023

Hi all,

Since the digital and land commons can be seen to intersect on GIS
software, I feel it makes sense to call for a renowned expert in both
fields. This could aim to attract attention of GIS software users and
non users.
Having suggested the above, I'll pitch in a suggestion in Richard
Stallman. There may be others too - any suggestions?
If Online speakers can be sorted out - I suspect free software systems
may have to be pre-requisite .. but I have no reason to discount such a
speaker turning up in person or already being present amongst us.

I thought of this while listening to some negatives on GPL by QGIS
developer at last year's conference. Commons [the land variety] being
under threat in the UK right now with recent media attention over
Dartmoor access [being defined by a "GIS enabled map" as it's put out in
media] is another reason

Best wishes,

Ramanan