[Foss4g2008loc] PC's for FOSS4G

Gavin Fleming GavinF at mintek.co.za
Tue Sep 2 10:14:32 EDT 2008

To fill you in - this thread jumped from the core LOC list as a budget
discussion to this broader list, so there wasn't much of a thread to
follow.

We have PC hire lined up for the workshops but in the past 10 days have
been considering options to buy PCs rather than hire. Buying does cost
more but then our (your) money doesn't go into a bottomless pit - GISSA
and OSGeo get to have a say in how 100 PCs get used for GIS in education
after FOSS4G.

We have a supplier who's giving us substantially less than wholesale
prices on a fairly high-end PC (incl screen) for around R4500, including

Zoltan we haven't gone down your route but for education your config
triples the impact we could make. If you want to put a hardware quote
together pls do so asap if you think we could use them first with XP.

XP has to be loaded for the FOSS4G workshops as some workshops require
Windows. Linux workshops will just use LiveCD or USB.

But Linux could be loaded after the conference.

The budget decision is ultimately OSGeo and GISSA's call; we hope to
have that in a day or two.

Gavin