[Foss4g2008loc] How did the GeoDjango workshop go at FOSS4G 2008?

Gavin Fleming GavinF at mintek.co.za
Wed Feb 4 03:44:11 EST 2009

Well, we planned it as a 'bring your own' workshop because we had the
auditorium available and we wanted to offer as many workshops as
possible. All other workshop and lab venues and times had PCs provided.
We reckoned that people who would be interested in the GeoDjango one
would most likely have their own laptops and it would be mostly web
based so would not required complex installs.

Two issues we hadn't contended with (or tested properly) were power and
bandwidth.

Although most laptops should have had enough battery life for the
workshop (3h), almost everyone wanted a power connection so we had to
scramble to provide extensions. Actually, we had ordered them but the
conference centre hadn't set them up as requested.

Wireless coverage in that location also was patchy and there was a
higher than expect demand on it.

In addition, there was more setup required than expected to get everyone
to the same point - maybe Josh or Chris can expand on that.

Recommendations: Supply power connections for all, ensure good wireless
coverage and bandwidth and ensure that presenters simplify the setup or
insist that attendees come with a minimum install (or provide a CD/DVD
install rather than network download) Or ensure that presenters plan in
more time for setup.

(and Cape Town not Johannesburg :-))

Hope this helps

Gavin