[Foss4g2008loc] How did the GeoDjango workshop go at FOSS4G 2008?

Graeme McFerren gmcferren at csir.co.za
Wed Feb 4 03:45:59 EST 2009

Hi Cameron

I think the idea can work, but it relies on several things:

1) organised venues (tables, power supply, {assume wireless network}) - this needs to be doublechecked, triplechecked and quadruplechecked - at FOSS4G2008, all these things were promised by the venue, but did not materialise as planned.
2) the right audience for the workshop
3) some kind of environment where everything is set up, e.g. a VMWare image, a LiveUSB, a LiveDVD - you cannot spend workshop time setting up/configuring too much across individuals machines

The GeoDjango W/S was run by Josh Livni & Chris Schmidt (who blogged about his experience)

Gav, you went to it, didn't you?

Regards
Graeme

>>> Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com> 02/04/09 10:17 AM >>>
foss4g 2008 OC,

Looking through the 2008 program, I notice that the GeoDjango workshop
asked participants to bring their own laptops.

We are also considering inviting participants to bring their own laptops
to some of the FOSS4G 2009 tutorials and would like to hear how
successful this was in Johannesburg. Do you have any lessons learned
that can  be passed on to us?

Please forward this email onto the presenter(s) if you know who they are.

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Systems Architect

Think Globally, Fix Locally