[Foss4g2009] OCS/Events Conferencing software integration meeting minutes

Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au
Tue Aug 5 22:00:33 EDT 2008

IMO:

Sorry to be blunt guys.

Time is slipping away from us and we need to make a decision one way or
the other.

Cameron,

Do you have sufficient information to summarise the arguments for a vote?

If not, what needs to be done to get this information, i.e.:

What is known?

What is not known?

What needs to be found out?

What help is needed?

Who is available to do each bit?

What timeframe are we working to?

Bruce

Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com>
Sent by: foss4g2009-bounces at lists.osgeo.org
05/08/2008 07:26 AM

Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com>
cc
Janelle Driscoll <jdriscoll at tourhosts.com.au>, foss4g2009
<foss4g2009 at lists.osgeo.org>, Gavin Fleming <GavinF at mintek.co.za>,
gmcferren at csir.co.za, Denisa Adamova <dadamova at tourhosts.com.au>, Simon
Hope <cucumber.sunshine at gmail.com>
Subject
Re: [Foss4g2009] OCS/Events Conferencing software integration meeting
minutes

Rrank,

Gavin & Graeme explained the idea and hopefully will correct my
interpretation of a proposed implementation:

* OCS will accept user initial registrations.
* OCS will pass registration details to Tour Hosts' "Events" package,
and get a userId returned. (API needed here).
Events package will process finances.
* OCS will be able to query Events package to determine financial status
of each member (by passing in the userId). (API needed here). This could
be a push or pull interface, yet to be determined.
* OCS will be responsible for processing papers and collecting
information about delegates.
* Events system is responsible for processing financial details, booking
accommodation, and other things I can't remember.

Indeed, this work could be quite simple if you have developers who are
already familiar with the code base. People on the teleconference didn't
have much experience in PHP.  So yes, with the right hackers, this could
be done much cheaper that my estimated 1 to 2 months. Do you have such a
hacker in mind?

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Cameron Shorter wrote:
>> The proposed solution is to use OCS for collecting presentations, and
>> some of the registration work flow, then hand the rest over to the
>> ICS software. (I haven't captured all the details here. Will leave
>> that to someone else). Changes will likely be written in PHP & MySQL,
>> plus contractors might need to be hired to provide hooks into the
>> Events system.
>
> Cameron,
>
> I don't really have a clear understanding of the integration proposed.
>
> My past suggestion has been to handle the presentation collection and
> management through OCS (something we have experience with), and handle
> registration completely in the service providers system.  I don't see
how
> this would require any expensive integration.
>
> This still leaves some question about whether the "front end" web site
> is managed by the local service provider's system or OCS.  I'm
ambivalent
> on this issue.
>
> In my optimistic opinion the only integration needed between the systems
> should be an url at the appropriate points.  I will acknowledge that
> users may end up with two userids if they are presenting, one to
> register and one for the presentation management system.
>
> The objective - at least in the long term - is to get cheaper service
> from
> the service providers since they won't be expected to manage the
> presentation
> aspect, and to ensure greater continuity of operation in this aspect.
>
> The only integration I anticipate is working to ensure OCS uses the
OSGeo
> LDAP database so that userid/password info is "OSGeo standard".
>
> Best regards,

Notice:

contained in this email.