[Foss4g2009] OCS/Events Conferencing software integration meeting minutes

mapbutcher mapbutcher at mapbutcher.com
Wed Aug 6 05:29:08 EDT 2008

Hey,

I'd like to think we can approach this pragmatically and avoid over
complicating things. Lets concentrate on what it is we want the conference
website to achieve, keeping in mind our theme of 'user driven':

   - Attract people to the conference
   - Provide information about Sydney/Australia and what people can do and
   see while they are at the conference (other than attend sessions/workshops
   etc)
   - Provide accommodation information
   - Provide a single source of information on what it will be like to
   attend the conference
   - Registration
   - Paper Submission
   - Program\Schedule
   - Conference timeline
   - Contact/query info
   - ....

We have limited resources and IMO we don't want to be using these on
integration projects when we could possibly make a pragmatic decision now.
Personally I still haven't heard a convincing argument for complicating the
provision of the site by integrating two systems together. Should the local
committee vote on the whether we:

   - Use either the Tour Hosts system or OCS exclusively - both are
   providing adequate sites for conferences currently
   - If we are going to integrate the two systems together then make a
   decision on the level of integration.

I'm willing to put in time towards the website (sorry not 1-2 months PHP
hacking :), I'll even make the effort to get to Sydney if needs be, but I
would prefer to know that the time is not wasted on an integration that
serves no other purpose than saying we have used open source conference
software, especially taking into account previous comments on future reuse
of any integration efforts.

I vote for one system or the other, if that's not the way that the committee
wants to go then I would vote for as basic an integration as possible.

Cheers

Simon