[Foss4g2009] Re: FOSS4G 2009 venue

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 07:14:40 EDT 2008

Denisa Adamova wrote:

> Hi Cameron,
>
> Following on from our OC meeting today, I have spoken with the Sydney
> Convention and Exhibition Centre (SCEC).
>
> I have updated all info on wiki:
>
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009_Venue_selection
>
> Please let me know if this is the best way to communicating it to the OC.

If you want lots of people to respond, don't use a wiki, because the
effort required to edit a wiki will reduce the number of responses you
get. Better to use email.

If you just want one or two responses, an email is better.

If you want to collaboratively work on a doc between 2 to 10 people,
then the wiki is often better.

> I really need to cut down on my email traffic but would like to hear
> everyone’s feedback on this really quickly – before our Wednesday meeting.
>
> Thanks
>
> Denisa

 From the wiki:
> Following on from our FOSS4G 2009 OC meeting today, Tour Hosts have
> spoken with the Sydney Convention and Exhibition Centre (SCEC).
>
> TH have asked for availability of any other dates between September –
> November. There is currently no availability for 5 day venue hire within
> September – November, the only date available is the 23 – 27 November.
>
> There is only one date which has availability of 4 day venue hire and it
> falls on Wednesday 21 October – Saturday 24 October 2008.
>
> 1. What are your thoughts about this date?

It seems ok to me.
It doesn't seem to clash with any of the key conferences I've identified
yet:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009_Marketing_Plan#Related_Conferences
> 2. Is there any chance that we could have all Workshops or the Code
> Sprint offsite at other venues?

Yes, I think that should be ok, so long as the venues are close.
Eg: The Maritime Museum, which is 5 mins walk away from SCEC.
Or UTS, which I think is 10 to 15 minutes walk from SCEC.
> 3. What was the actual attendance at Workshops in 2007 and what is the
> confirmed attendance in 2008?

Details asked of Gavin for 2008.
Can someone on this list answer for 2008?
> 4. What is the room requirement for Code Sprint for the last day?

I think someone mentioned 60 people being at the code sprint in 2007. I
expect this to increase to maybe 100 for 2009.

Note that LISAsoft has offices 10 minutes walk from SCEC (in Pyrmont)
which could take 100 people at a stretch on a weekend.