[Foss4g2009] Re: Geospatial Integration Showcase - meeting notes [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Thu Nov 6 12:32:27 EST 2008

The 2007 experience very much validates Simon. In the end, Justin and
DaveP volunteered a good deal of time to put the foundation elements
into place for a showcase (data gathered, documented with metadata on
the wiki, loaded into public PostGIS instance) and nobody else showed
up and helped. Vendors were too busy with other things to dedicate
even the time to stand up a demo on the public data, despite lots of
harassment on our part. Even folks like DM Solutions didn't step up.

Catch-22, if you expect everyone to come and add their ingredients to
the stew, they won't. If you just do it all yourself, well, it's not
much of an "integration" showcase anymore, is it?

P.