[Foss4g2009] Invitation to Senator Kate Lundy

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at lisasoft.com
Tue Jun 2 19:38:39 EDT 2009

I've written a draft invitation for Senator Kate Lundy to open FOSS4G.

Simon,
Can you please confirm that I'm offering the correct time for her
speaking slot.

Pia,
Can you please do a general sanity check, and make sure I have covered
the issues that Kate would be interested in.

The document is in subversion at:
https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/foss4g/2009/documents/sponsor/FOSS4G Senator
Kate Lundy.doc

----

Senator The Honourable Kate Lundy

Australian Labor Party

Law Society Building

11 London Circuit

Canberra ACT 2601

Dear Senator Kate Lundy,

The Open Source Geospatial Foundation has been successful in attracting
the prestigious international Free and Open Source Software for
Geospatial (FOSS4G) Conference which is to be held at the Sydney
Convention and Exhibition Centre from the 20 – 23 October 2009.

FOSS4G is where the international Geospatial community meets to discuss
Geospatial Open Source Software and integrating Open Source with
existing systems through Open Standards. The 2009 Conference in
particular invites delegates to attend presentations and targeted
tutorials focussed on business, technical and industry aspects of
FOSS4G. In addition, ‘Birds of a Feather’ sessions will allow
like-minded groups to hold discussions, while a specific day has been
dedicated to practical hands on workshops.

On behalf of the Organising Committee, I would like to invite you to
attend the conference and would additionally be honoured if you gave a
brief welcome address to the delegates during the opening session on
Wednesday 21 October 2009.

At this year's Conference we are expecting a keen interest from within
the Australian Government as there have been some recent exciting
developments led by:

- CSIRO with the Spatial Information Services Stack project. This
project is working to provide a set of FOSS4G tools that can be rolled
out to a number of Government Departments; and

- The Office of Spatial Data Management and the Australia New Zealand
Land Information Council with the adoption of a FOSS4G project as a tool
to help Government employees and the public to find government spatial
information.

In our current challenging economic times, particularly in the light of
the implementation of the recommendations of the Gershon Review within
Federal Government, I think that you will find that FOSS4G is a cause
that should be supported. FOSS4G has the potential to save government
considerable sums of money and to lead to more innovative and open
technical solutions.

I understand you have a very busy schedule and I would be grateful if
you could advise me of your availability to participate in the opening
session at your earliest convenience. I would be honoured for you to
open the FOSS4G Conference 2009.

Kind regards,

Cameron Shorter

Chairman