[Foss4g2009] Re: [Foss4g2010] Getting ready to burn OSGeo-Live for FOSS4G 2010

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 07:45:13 EDT 2010

Thanks Oscar for responding on this.

I suggest that you work with local printers. It removes the risk of
having DVDs being lost in the post.

Alex suggested that we go with DVDs for everyone, which is the lowest
risk, but have 50 of so USBs printed which people without DVDs can ask
to pick up.

The risk for going with USBs is that we have only tried the USB with a
couple of computers.

If you do decide to go ahead with USBs, (which will likely be a huge
success), then I suggest trying to get as many people testing the USB as
possible.

Can you please contact your printer and get back to us with a schedule
as to when they need to have the image by, in order to get the USB/DVD
printed for the conference.

On 05/08/10 20:39, Oscar Fonts wrote:
> Cameron,
>
> I think Lorenzo is on vacation, so we decide.
>

>> 1. Are we going to deliver a DVD or USB?
>>
> I would prefer to have an USB, but if you OSGeoLive gurus think it is
> too risky and have no time/resources for testing, then, let's go with
> DVD. :(((
>
> I just loaded the RC6 ISO in a 4GB bootable USB. It works. But tested
> only for 10 minutes... not much.
> To make bootable USB from ISO, used unetbootin under Windows,
> http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
>
> Have also a budget for 800 USB units from http://www.memoriasusb.com/
> ; it is about 8 EUR/unit, including logo printings and data load.
> Will contact them and try to get a sample unit with RC6 loaded.
>

>> 2. Does the FOSS4G Organising Committee want to burn the DVD, or would you
>> like LISAsoft to coordinate that and bill you?
>>
> Could you provide an orientative budget for 800 or 1000 units?
> I will compare with spanish local services.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Oscar.

Geospatial Director