[Foss4g2010] Prospectus and second Press Release

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) arnulf at osgeo.org
Wed Dec 9 12:25:11 EST 2009

Lorenzo Becchi wrote:

> we have our first version of the prospectus [1] .
> we are ready to "open the doors", only need to double check the final
> prices with Maria and we can publish on the web site.
>

> I've started editing the second press release to communicate the opening
> of the subscriptions and the sponsorship programme.
> I've adapted the text from the prospectus. I invite you to revise as I
> always feel uncomfortable writing in English.

Lorenzo,
the press release still needs restructuring and some polishing. I
suggest that we let the Marketing Committee help us with it. Please
forward your mail to them if you think this is a good idea. I added a
notice that the release is still in progress.

I have one concrete question on this section:

<.>
"OSGeo Community Awards

The attendance will vote the best use case of OSGeo Software
implementation in Government and in Business. and then the best
education program around OSGeo Software. And No Profit organizations.
</.>

Are you sure that you want to vote on all of these topics? I have a hard
time understanding what would be the best "No Profit organization"? For
the background, there is a distinction in English between "non-profit",
that is an incorporated company and "not-for-profit", that is an
organization that is not incorporated. The original OSM (not counting
the OSM Foundation) was kind of a "not-for-profit". OSGeo and OpenGeo
are technically both "non-profit" but there is an obvious difference in
mission. So which of the three would you suggest could be awarded? I
believe this is a slippery slope and would just drop it.

Regards,
Arnulf.

> ciao
> lorenzo