[Foss4g2010] Re: Starting preparation for technology comparison presentations

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Wed Apr 28 15:06:23 EDT 2010

On 04/28/2010 11:21 AM, Jeff McKenna wrote:
> Lorenzo Becchi wrote:
>> If they are really cool as the wms shootouts we can remove lightening
>> talks...
>> With Jeff we have decided to reserve one hour for the Wms benchmarks
>
> Wow quite a lot of responses on this. How about we slot 30-40 mins, but
> keep in mind that it could go on longer. Does that work for everyone?

Sorry, didn't think anyone else would care :)  Not that we're voting on
this or anything, but I still believe the majority of people think 30
minutes is enough.  It seems to be enough for "world changing" TED
talks.  Whether it's a talk or Q&A - it will bump something else out of
the agenda.  Bye bye lightning talks?? That suggestion made me panic
since they are super well loved and ultra engaging.

Write your presentation to whatever timeframe and you'll do fine.  Are
you worried about having too much material?  Hacking original content
down by 50% leads to a much better presentation.  Less details more
summaries.  I've reverted to pre-writing my talks and found I can pack a
lot more in, and clearly too, then doing it off-the-cuff.

Of course, if Lorenzo's made a decision then I'm not too worried.  But I
still encourage everyone to consider aggressive editing and much
practice to keep talks on track.  You'll sleep better beforehand too :)

Tyler