[Foss4g2011] Re: [Foss4g2011-private] Re: Bunch of procrastinators:)

Seven (aka Arnulf) seven at arnulf.us
Tue Apr 19 07:19:33 EDT 2011

Peter Batty wrote:
> Like I said, it wasn't really a very serious suggestion ... I think it's
> just a fact of life for the organizing committee, but it's just stressful
> when there are 3 days to go to the deadline and you only have 60 abstracts
> and are worried you may not have a viable conference, did we publicize
> things enough, etc etc.

We have to face it, this is just the way it works. And it is the same
everywhere. With FOSSGIS it was not that extreme but we also had 50% in
the last two days. We then wanted to have more to choose from so we
extended the deadline once. (We did a horrible job of advertizing the
CfP up front so no wonder we had to extend the dead line).

The deadline must be seriously dead. Anybody coming late lost the
opportunity. Expereience also shows that if you don't meet the first
deadline done chances are high you wont meet the next deadlines either
or miss the whole conference. No-shows really are a pain. Get rid of
them right at the beginning of the process.

Paul's voting app is neat, no worries, randomizing and all included.

Cheers,
Arnulf