[Foss4g2012] Academic Track at Foss4g2012

Barend Köbben kobben at itc.nl
Tue Dec 13 10:07:40 EST 2011

Dear mr Song,

Thank you for informing me. Friday we had a conference call with some
people in OSGEO, we did have a useful discussion, especially since both
Helena Mitasova and Rafael Moreno were there, being ex-organisers of the
Academic Track. The general idea as put forward in my setup seems OK, and
"Transactions in GIS" seems to be accepted as the most likely candidate
for a Journal outlet. I was planning to contact John Wilson, chief editor
of TGIS, soon with the ideas. In your email you mention having IEEE
conference proceedings. Can you tell me if this was intended for all
proceedings or specifically those of the Academic Track? And how developed
is that idea, was there already contact with IEEE?

I also want to put the plans thus far in a summarising email to the key
people involved so far.
In that I will also officially ask candidates for the so-called Scientific
Committee to commit
themselves (including you, so I hope you agree to be our local organising
liaison in the Scientific Committee). I will also  propose a first Call
for Papers (with little detail, but at least to have something sent around
before Christmas).

Yours,
Barend

--
Barend Köbben (Senior Lecturer)
ITC - University of Twente, Faculty of Geo-Information