[foss4g2014] September 9th LOC meeting notes

TC Haddad tchaddad at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 07:11:25 PDT 2013

Hi all,

Below are the notes from the LOC meeting last night.

If you read through, you will see that Darrell will be sending out a
variety of proposals from POC and design contract candidates to the Private
list later today. If you are interested in helping evaluate those proposals
please join the Private list to get access to them. We'll use a matrix for
the PCO decision, and those criteria are below (comments on the criteria
are welcome).

*** Mark your Calendars for a Monday eve Sept 23rd meeting on the PCO and
design decisions. Let us know if you want to attend remotely.***

best,
Tanya

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

*FOSS4GLOC Meeting @ Renewable Funding*
*
September 9th, 2013
*
*Attending:* Darrell F, Neil R, Tanya H, Randy D, Jeff M., & Melissa from
Stumptown on the phone
*
*
*[NB: notes are re-arranged according to importance of discussion]*
*
*
*PCO Discussion*

We need a PCO so that we can begin to negotiate contracts and move forward
with many other items (basically anything that involves spending money). We
have 2 bids from potential PCOs in hand  (Beatty Group, MeetGreen) with a
3rd from  VTM expected Tuesday morning.

    We need to line up some folks to review the proposals, and
    Create a comparison matrix so that a decision can be made.
    Darrell will email Steve from SharedGeo to see if they want to submit a
bid
    No harm in also asking John K to submit as well, esp if there is a
potential to work within PSU

    Potential PCO evaluation matrix items
        ability to sign contracts
        ability to be a fiscal agent: manage finances, budgeting,
accounting services
        ability to hold money and sign checks
        ability to be bondable
        ability to handle registration services including registration
packets
        ability to do marketing and outreach (including tech savvy
communication channels)
        ability to do contract negotiation
            Contracts include: convention center, hotels, AV, other event
spaces, field trips
        sponsor logistics - staging, exhibit space management
        travel services and logistics
        fixed vs Percentage costs comparison

*Goals*

Any new PCO proposals should be in by Monday the 16th
Goal to give a PCO decision to the OSGeo board in 2 weeks (Sept 23rd) **
Goal to get the OSGeo board to approve of our PCO choice by end of
September (30th)

We also have a few Design Contract submissions. Those decisions should be
on a similar time-frame (no need for matrix?)

** Meeting to make decisions will be Monday 23rd (location TBD)

+++++++++++++++++

*Committees*
*
*
We ran through a description of the various committees that probably need
to exist and the kinds of items that fall under each. Folks who have
expressed interest in helping in each area are noted, but in general names
are not filled in because this has not been discussed in depth before. If
you are interested in helping with a committee area please let us know!

*Academic committee*
    Percy is leading the charge.
    RFP's to go out first of the year - need more detailed schedule

*Design committee*
    No lead yet.
    Web credentials desirable.
    3 bids have been submitted for design work (Darrel will forward to the
private list).

*Conference committee*
    Darrell is the lead
    Open source bridge software possibly useful.
    Registration fees - Percy is looking into our ability to use the PSU
registration system
    Maybe we should check on more formally seeing if we can funnel anything
more through PSU?
    Might want to involve Deb Bryant in some way

*Entertainment committee*
    No lead yet
    Gala, field trips, etc.
    NACIS-like planning on this would be cool.
    It would be nice if we had an outline by registration time (check
Nottingham date).

*Code Sprint / Hackathon committee*
    No lead yet
    Discussion has centered on pairing this with WhereCampPDX
    Possible Elliot center as a location (if combined)
    Melissa can check with Reid on Metro vs Elliot Center.
    Stumptown can get the Elliot Center at a discount
    Dates would be 13th and 14th
    Would be great if WhereCampPDX folks could be involved in the
discussion early

*Regular Program*
    No Lead Yet (This might be a position with an honorarium)
    This is the biggest job on the list, and advice from Nottingham will be
key

*Workshop committee*
    No lead yet,
    Neil is in and has lots of AV experience, Jeff McKenna has said he
wants to help
    We have 6 computer labs reserved already, and can reserve more non-lab
space as necessary
    Workshops are not recorded, but Darrell got a bid for the conference AV
stuff from SOTM-US, includes all nine tracks over the 3 main days at the
convention center (live streaming plus posting of recorded talks later).

*Promotion/publicity*
    No lead yet.
    Will likely fall under the PCO to some degree
    This will include the shwag bag and related items

*Volunteer Organizing*
    No lead yet
    Need someone to recruit and lead volunteers and student volunteers.

*Sponsorship*
    No lead Yet
    Need to get the Nottingham sponsorship levels
    Need the direct contact info from Nottingham for their sponsors
    Would be good to get the outline of sponsorship packets done by October
1st (internal deadline) so we can move it to the getting pretty stage
and recruit a lead on this topic.

*To-Dos*

    Darrel will send out Design docs Av contract stuff to private list
    Darrell will contact SharedGeo
    Percy will check on the PSU stuff (registration details, other PSU
synergies, students)
    Tanya will draft the sponsor levels in prep for a sponsor packet
discussion
    Tanya will create an eval matrix for the PCO decision