[foss4g2014] js.geo, OSGeo LIVE, AGM, ten years, code sprint, booth materials

Darrell Fuhriman darrell at garnix.org
Tue Jul 29 14:12:28 PDT 2014

> I disagree here. I think having OSGeo Live USB's/DVDs available (read: opt-in) is great, but I think it is incredibly wasteful (money as well as a product that is not environmentally benign) to put one in every delegate packet. I have tons of these USB sticks that just clutter up my drawers and are ones I never tend to use because they are almost always low capacity and incredibly slow drives.

For the record, I agree with David here, hence my comment on low return on investment. I also have a pile of unused USB keys. The first time I got one at a conference (whopping 16MB, IIRC) I thought it was awesome. By the tenth, I was over it – they were inevitably smaller and slower than the one I carry with me all the time (32GB USB 3.0).

FWIW, a quick perusal suggests 8GB USB sticks with full color logo are about $7.50 each. DVDs in basic paper sleeve with 4-color printing on the disc are about $1.70 ($2.00 for dual layer) each – both in quantities of around 300, slightly less as you get larger.

Darrell