[foss4g2014] js.geo, OSGeo LIVE, AGM, ten years, code sprint, booth materials

TC Haddad tchaddad at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 14:48:25 PDT 2014

....aaand not to be difficult, but I'll take the opposite view and relate
that in the past when I've burned stacks of OSGeo Live DVDs for outreach at
other events / large workshops, I have always been stuck with leftovers,
all of which have been 100% useless to me within a few months. So though
cheaper up front, these are the really useless product in the long term
(mobiles and coasters notwithstanding). Plus, many new laptops don't even
have DVD drives so...

On the flip side, as a person who works in a miserly govt. agency and
obviously doesn't get out as much as Darrell and David :), I think getting
a USB drive at a conference is probably among the top 2 shwag items in
terms of how much I actually continue to use it after the fact. Bottom of
the list of shwag items? the usually unbelievably terrible conference bag,
(if there is a way to avoid that...)

I agree USBs are expensive. Maybe there is compromise: 8GB USB 3.0 for
workshop attendees (included in their fee) and in an opt-in 4GB USB 2.0
basket at the OSGeo booth for others. All this would only work if we have
the budget for it.

Tanya