[FOSS4G2016] FOSS4G and FOSSGIS 2016: co-existence

Gert-Jan van der Weijden - Stichting OSGeo.nl gert-jan at osgeo.nl
Sat Oct 3 08:30:01 PDT 2015

Hi all,

Now that the preparation for the German-speaking FOSSGIS conference (4-6
juli in Salzburg, Austria) has started, I wonder if we have any idea how to
not let the FOSS4G and FOSS4G cannibalize on each other.

Based upon last year figures & this years expectations:

- FOSSGIS: German spoken, july, 450 attendees (in 2016 as part of AGIT: 1200
attendees from 45 countries)

, 150 euro entrance fee, 2 days (2 halves, plus one entire day), workshops
during these 2 days, Salzburg, Mozart

- FOSS4G: English spoken, august, 999 attendees, 650 euro entrance fee, 3
full days, workshop as extra days, Bonn, Beethoven

The Bid has an chapter about the FOSSGIS / FOSS4G overlap & difference, but
I still find it hard to explain why one should come to either the
FOSSGIS at AGIT2016 or the FOSS4G, both for participants as well as
exhibitors/sponsors.

Any thoughts on this can help Till, Marc and myself in our "strategic
marketing" session next Friday in Bonn.

(and perhaps this all has been discussed within the FOSSGIS e.V., some
months ago...)

regards,

GJ