[FOSS4G2016] FOSS4G and FOSSGIS 2016: co-existence

till.adams at fossgis.de till.adams at fossgis.de
Sun Oct 4 07:23:25 PDT 2015

Gert-Jan,

the thing, that we have a FOSSGIS this year ism ore bacause of the OSM
community - because the OSM comm is less interested in a FOSS4G, than we
software-guys are.
Also our thought was, that the german speaking communities visiting a
FOSS4G and a FOSSGIS might differ - not totally, but they differ at all.

The "best" we (FOSS4G) have is the fact, that FOSSGIS is in austria and
also FOSSGIS conferences always have a strong local factor. In general I
think, there might be people who go either to FOSSGIS or to FOSS4G - but
in general I think the possibility to visit a FOSS4G in front of your
door might make the decision for many people easy.

Regarding sponsorship: I do not think. that we get problems here, as
sponsorship at a FOSSGIS is quiet cheap and companies might sponsor both
events - or if they just sponsor FOSSGIS they might not have sponsored
FOSS4G even if there wouldn't be also a FOSSGIS conference at all.

Just thoughts we had, when deciding on FOSSGIS and FOSS4G.

We can discuss that a little bit more on friday,

Till

Am 2015-10-03 17:30, schrieb Gert-Jan van der Weijden - Stichting
OSGeo.nl: