[FOSS4G2016] Preserving FOSS4G2016 Conference Videos

PETER LOEWE peter.loewe at gmx.de
Thu Oct 8 04:31:37 PDT 2015

Dear all,

sorry for picking up this topic with some delay:

Apart from the currently discussed Vimeo-based option, video-recordings
from  OSGeo-releated conferences hosted  are already being collected by
the German National Library for Science and Technology (TIB Hannover).

 From the perspective of Research Libraries like TIB, YouTube and Vimeo
are no reliable repositories to ensure long term access to audiovisual
information (over decades, including technology changes) . Because of
this, TIB has launched an alternative video portal ("AV-Portal"), which
meets the requirements for long term preservation & availability,  and
scientific citation of the video content.

Conference videos from both FOSS4G and FOSSGIS-events are already being
provided through the TIB AV-Portal. This service is free of charge as
OSGeo-content is considered part of the global scientific-technological
heritage.

Until now, the TIB librarians are busy harvesting OSGeo-related videos
from YouTube/Vimeo, which involves a lot of  time consuming effort
regarding contacting the video producers in retrospect and to deal with
lincence details.

For FOSS4G2016, it would be perfectly fine to store the conference
videos both on Vimeo (or Youtube) and also in parallel on the the TIB
AV-Portal. Right now we have the opportunity to start a dialog about the
video preservation with the TIB library during the conference
preparation phase. This would allow to make the content available
afterwards ASAP in the AV-Portal and to avoid loss of content as it
happened for FOSS4G2014.

If necessary I'd gladly serve as the interface to the library community
to suss out the details.

Best,
Peter

PS: Details about the AV-Portal as a service to OSGeo were described
during FOSS4G-Europe:
http://de.slideshare.net/loewe/acquisition-of-audiovisual-scientific-technical-information-from-osgeo-a-work-in-progress-report-2015