[FOSS4G2016] Proposed change to the Sponsorship and Exhibition Model

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at metaspatial.net
Wed Oct 21 03:34:30 PDT 2015

Folks,
we propose some changes to sponsorship levels and and exhibition area.
Some of this has already manifested on the web site:

1) Please note, that we separated sponsorship and exhibition. Sponsors
from Bronze upwards may also book exhibition space. Prices and details
to exhibition will be announced soon.

2) Please also note, that we assign exhibition places in the order
sponsors announce their sponsorship!

Before going ahead we want to let you know what we have come up with and
ask for feedback. Ideally short, concise and now so that we can go ahead
with contacting sponsors.

Background:
So far exhibition space increased proportionally to the sponsorship
level. Experience shows that this makes a lot of sense for the Bronze
and Silver levels. They typically represent the totally Open Source
committed SME who can barely afford to go to FOSS4G AND ship a booth AND
folks to man the stand. But they still do it. And the exhibition area is
alive because of those folks. They are all enthusiastic and will come up
with nice ideas how to get involved with visitors and community.

The bigger the sponsors the more diverse their interest in exhibiting.
The biggest sponsors often even politely decline to man a booth at all
because their interest in supporting FOSS4G (and OSGeo) is not so much
in talking to end users. Therefore in the past quite a few large
exhibition areas were deserted or sparsely used at the expense of the
smaller exhibitors.

Therefore we propose that by default we include basic exhibit space for
all sponsorship packages (except Supporter). It includes (something
like:) 1.5 Meter front line, 1 table 2 chairs (detaisl up for
discussion). BUT - additionally - sponsors *have to* explicitly register
for this exhibition space, otherwise we do not reserve any space for
them. This prevents us from those ugly empty boxes, half-baked
last-moment printed wall posters and unmanned stands.

Any sponsors can additionally book exhibit space at regular prices, e.g.
1 Meter front line at €1000 or some such. Making the front-line rather
expensive will help to raise the value and make sure that people use the
space they have efficiently. Plus it may prevent one sponsor from buying
up all space... :-)

All exhibitors obviously get full wired Internet access, 220V sockets,
etc. ...

Please comment (ideally sort of NOW as we are already busy contacting
sponsors).

Thanks,
Arnulf