[FOSS4G2016] Proposed change to the Sponsorship and Exhibition Model

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at metaspatial.net
Mon Oct 26 03:55:22 PDT 2015

Folks,
following up with all suggestions can you please update the web site
with the following sections relevant for sponsoring:

Changes are marked as ["old text" -> "new text"]

"(to be discussed)" -> "open to negotiation"

"Guaranteed Slot in a track" -> "Sponsored talk in main track"

(Conference Passes) "8" -> "10"

"Exhibit Space" -> "Exhibition Space"

Can (whoever put it there) explain what the "Conference package" is.

Same for "Promoting opportunity to registered email".

We will have to explain sponsors what they can / are supposed to do with
these options.

"There is a possibility to sponsor one of the following:"
 ->
"We are open to your ideas for sponsoring any of the following items:"

I suggest to make a completely new subtitle called "Exhibition" instead
of the notes 1) and 2), and add this text:

[BOF]
Exhibition

Given the layout of the exhibition area we have decided to open the
usual booth structure up into a more appealing form where visitors can
meander through the hall form island to island making the experience
more lively and interactive. The Open Source (Cathedral vs.) Bazaar
finally visualised, FOSS4G shapes its own map footprint!

Every Sponsors from Bronze upwards is invited to use one assigned bar
stool and table to exhibit their products and services or just to come
into contact with people in the exhibition zone. Every exhibit island is
equipped with electric sockets, catering included. Alternatively you can
book any size and shape you want on a first come first serve base.
Please contact us to let us know of your creative ideas and inquire for
prices and options.
[EOF]

Todo:
To add concrete prices we need to have a better understanding of the
costs. So whoever wants to take ownership of the exhibition area please
let the web and sponsor team know what the prices will be (sqm, "island
space", whatever it is). Plus sockets, basic booth infrastructure and
catering (coffee, cookies and the like) throughout the exhibition times.

Thanks,
Arnulf

On 21.10.2015 12:34, Arnulf Christl wrote:
> Folks,
> we propose some changes to sponsorship levels and and exhibition area.
> Some of this has already manifested on the web site:
>
> 1) Please note, that we separated sponsorship and exhibition. Sponsors
> from Bronze upwards may also book exhibition space. Prices and details
> to exhibition will be announced soon.
>
> 2) Please also note, that we assign exhibition places in the order
> sponsors announce their sponsorship!
>

> Before going ahead we want to let you know what we have come up with a
nd
> ask for feedback. Ideally short, concise and now so that we can go ahe
ad
> with contacting sponsors.
>

> Background:
> So far exhibition space increased proportionally to the sponsorship
> level. Experience shows that this makes a lot of sense for the Bronze
> and Silver levels. They typically represent the totally Open Source
> committed SME who can barely afford to go to FOSS4G AND ship a booth A
ND
> folks to man the stand. But they still do it. And the exhibition area
is
> alive because of those folks. They are all enthusiastic and will come
up
> with nice ideas how to get involved with visitors and community.
>
> The bigger the sponsors the more diverse their interest in exhibiting.
> The biggest sponsors often even politely decline to man a booth at all
> because their interest in supporting FOSS4G (and OSGeo) is not so much
> in talking to end users. Therefore in the past quite a few large
> exhibition areas were deserted or sparsely used at the expense of the
> smaller exhibitors.
>
> Therefore we propose that by default we include basic exhibit space fo
> all sponsorship packages (except Supporter). It includes (something
> like:) 1.5 Meter front line, 1 table 2 chairs (detaisl up for
> discussion). BUT - additionally - sponsors *have to* explicitly regist
er
> for this exhibition space, otherwise we do not reserve any space for
> them. This prevents us from those ugly empty boxes, half-baked
> last-moment printed wall posters and unmanned stands.
>
> Any sponsors can additionally book exhibit space at regular prices, e.
g.