[Francophone] Failed at using GDAL_OGR and Shapelib with Visual Studio 2008 9.0

MARION VIOLOT marion.violot at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 13:57:07 PDT 2013

Hello everyone,

I have tried for at least two weeks to find a way to manipulate shapefiles
in a project in Visual Studio C++. I found two libraries (GDAL_OGR and
Shapelib) which could help me to do it, but I failed at using them with VS
C++ 2008.

Indeed, I follow this link :
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/BuildingOnWindows and tried to used the
prebuild libraries as well as built it myself (by first choosing version of
GDAL here : http://www.gisinternals.com/sdk/), but I have same errors which
is a LNK2001 unresolved external symbol. I thought I linked well the
gdal_i.lib ( Project Properties > Linking Options > Additional Librairy >
Path to gdal_i.lib, I also add gdal_i.lib (only the name) where I have to,
and add the path to my includes files also in Project Properties > C++/C
Options).

I thought may be I have to add reference to my gdal.dll. So I added the
path of bin\gdal.dll to the option Add path reference. But I had the same
error. I was thinking about use #import *.dll and/or #unsing *.dll but I
don't really understand how doing this (I looked through
http://msdn.microsoft.com/fr-fr/ ). Anyway, it might be unuseful as I
already linked my *.lib, isn't it?

So I tried to use Shapelib dowloaded from here, but I just failed to build
the library as it seems some *.h are missing.

If you have any advice, I would be very releaved and of course grateful.

Thank you in advance.
Marion.