[gdal-dev] OT: COM Interfaces of the OGR

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at p...
Fri Aug 31 09:22:04 EDT 2001

Paul Selormey wrote:
> Hello All,
> I strongly feel there is a need to have an exclusive OGR mailing
> list, unless we are combining its issues with the GDAL mailing list.

Paul,

Technically, the sfcom-dev mailing list described on the OGR page is intended
to cover OGR issues as well as SFCOM/OLEDB specific issues. However, it seems
that most people just use the GDAL list because of the close association of
OGR and GDAL.

In part I haven't fought this because I have a long term dream of integrating
OGR and GDAL more closely. Shared driver mechanism, metadata handling and so
forth. However, I have no schedule for such an overhaul.

> Now, what is the state of the COM interfaces implementation of the
> OGR? I have just started looking at them and found them incomplete.
> Also, what is the stragegy here?...the user create the IPolygon
> interface for instance, populate it and pass it to the map engine to
> render?

The SFCOM interfaces are dramatically incomplete. I basically abandoned
that work when it became clear that for most intents and purposes the
OLEDB portion of the Simple Features for COM/OLEDB was all that was very
useful.

Are you working in a COM environment where you would like to have the
proper SFCOM interfaces implemented? I would be happy to cooperate on
such an effort, but you would likely be stuck doing the bulk of the work
since I don't have any supporting projects or compelling interest. It
would be nice to have from a completeness point of view.

Assuming you know COM better than I (not hard!) you might find it better
to start from a clean implementation, discarding what I have done so far.
But it should be possible to build an implementation closely on the
OGRGeometry classes. They where intended to map pretty closely onto what
is in the spec.

Just let me know if you need CVS commit access.

I set the clouds in motion - turn up | Frank Warmerdam, warmerdam at p...