[Gdal-dev] GDAL_translate and FIT(S) crash

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Apr 7 12:16:27 EDT 2003

Jim Julian wrote:

> Hi Frank, Simon,
>
> Frank,
>    The file type confusion arises from the programs. The GDAL_Translate
> DOS window output, with
> no arguments supplied, lists the format as FIT as does OpenEV's Export
> box. The HTML documentation
> does list the format as FITS and the extension as .fits. Confusion is
> understandable.

Jim,

If you don't see a driver called "FITS" in the list of formats then it
is likely you have not successfully built in support for it.  The FIT
driver is always present, but I suspect is not documented in the supported
formats list.

>    And speaking of OpenEV, I downloaded the Jan-07-03 release as a check
> when I discovered the
> GDAL_Translate error and got the same results.
> Simon
>    Thinking there may be something wrong with my gridfile, I converted a
> typical JPEG to TIFF and
> attempted a conversion of that file. Same results. OpenEV as well. The
> jpeg was a simple photo image
> about 300Kb in size, so the nature of the file is not relevant as far as
> I can tell.
>    Since I used ,both, my compiled version of gdal and the JAN release
> of OpenEV, my compilation
> is not a likely problem.
>    Since the problem has to come from somewhere I am open to
> possibilities and suggestions.
> Also, in passing, I will mention the nature of the crash.The crash type
> is a "page fault".
>    Could the operating system be the source of the problem (Windows 98 SE)?

It is possible though I would not think probable.  I think you will need
to file a bug with the the details including the pointer to the binary
release you are using, and the data file that demonstrates the problem.  I
don't think I have a Win98 system anymore, so if I can't reproduce the
problem on XP the issue will likely languish.