[Gdal-dev] OGR/Shapefile crash

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Dec 10 16:37:31 EST 2003

Curt Mills, WE7U wrote:
> That system is using CVS GDAL, proj-4.4.7, and
> proj-nad27-1.1.tar.gz.  It still segfaults on this statement if a
> ".prj" file is present with a Shapefile:
>

>   datasource = OGROpen(full_filename, 0 /* bUpdate */, &driver);

Curt,

Well, this isn't really "close enough" to the problem to tell much
from.

> It doesn't segfault if the .prj file is absent, but of course then
> it can't get any spatial info from the file.
>
> The system which segfaults has had various versions of proj and
> libgeotiff installed at various times.  It has an older libtiff,
> therefore is running libgeotiff 1.1.4 or 1.1.5 to match.
> Libgeotiff's datum translation functions work fine inside Xastir on
> that system, so the libgeotiff/libproj/libtiff stuff is working.
>
> Another system doesn't segfault, but has a newer tiff/libgeotiff
> installed.
>
> It sounds like there might be a header/library file mismatch only
> where OGR is concerned, which the libtiff/libproj/libgeotiff chain
> is somehow avoiding.  Perhaps header files inside OGR that don't
> match libraries that are installed on the system?

I'm afraid I am somewhat confused at the end of this.  If you can
produce the effect with a clean CVS build I will fix.  But it sounds
like it might be a build-configuation issue, or a bug that has already
been fixed.

> Another subject:  Is there a test suite of simple map files for the
> various types and subtypes of maps accepted by OGR/GDAL?

Map files?  I assume you just mean raster files of the various formats?
There is a growing set of sample files at:

   ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/gdal/data/

There is also a set of test scripts written in python for testing some
GDAL capbilities (in osrs/gdalautotest in CVS).