[Gdal-dev] newbie question about AIG vs. GIO drivers

Gregory, Matthew matt.gregory at oregonstate.edu
Wed Dec 10 20:15:25 EST 2003

I have been combing through the prior postings to the list, but haven't come across an answer.  I apologize if this has been covered before ...

I am trying to sort out which is the "best" driver to use when reading in ArcInfo binary grids.  It appears that the GIO driver has preference (based on its position in GDALLAllRegister) and will allow writing grids, whereas the AIG driver will not.  However, the GIO driver lacks any projection definition capabilities at present(?).

I can't find any documentation on the GIO driver as it appears to point to a missing link.(http://remotesensing.org/gdal/frmt_various.html#GIO)

Any guidance on this would be very helpful.  GDAL promises to be very useful ...

thanks, matt

Matt Gregory
Faculty Research Assistant
Department of Forest Science