[Gdal-dev] Datum shifting

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Dec 10 23:02:13 EST 2003

Grabowski, Hank wrote:
> The only data files I have in my "nad" directory, which is mapped to the
> environment variable as I stated below, are the ones that came with the
> standard windows library zip file "proj446_win32_bin.zip" that I got
> from http://remotesensing.org/proj/.  These all seem to be binary files.
> When I put debug mode on I did get a weird additional error:
>
> pj_open_lib(conus): call
> fopen(C:\perforce\data\main\STKData\CentralBodies\Earth
> \nad/conus).
> ERROR 1: no system list, errno: 2
>
> There is a file called conus.lla, and naming a copy of that file t
> "conus" fixed that problem (if it was one at all).  After that, I get
> the exact same debugging messages as I did before:

Hank,

Here-in lies the problem.  The conus.lla file is an ASCII file which needs
to be converted to binary format, with the name conus.  The error is that
the header is corrupt (not the expected binary format), though I must confess
that the error reporting is very wanting in detail.

The "no system list" part just means that the software on the platform in
question is not configured to call strerror() to translate system error codes
into message strings.  I think I have already corrected this in the
development source.

Finally, it would seem that the proj446_win32_bin.zip distribution was prepared
improperly, including only the ascii files, instead of the binary files.  You
can issue the following commands from within the "nad" directory to translate
the ascii files into binary files.  Likely only the conus line will be
necessary.

	..\bin\nad2bin.exe < conus.lla conus
	..\bin\nad2bin.exe < MD.lla MD
	..\bin\nad2bin.exe < TN.lla TN
	..\bin\nad2bin.exe < WI.lla WI
	..\bin\nad2bin.exe < WO.lla WO
	..\bin\nad2bin.exe < alaska.lla alaska
	..\bin\nad2bin.exe < hawaii.lla hawaii
	..\bin\nad2bin.exe < prvi.lla prvi
	..\bin\nad2bin.exe < stgeorge.lla stgeorge
	..\bin\nad2bin.exe < stlrnc.lla stlrnc
	..\bin\nad2bin.exe < stpaul.lla stpaul

I appologise for the error, and the confusion it caused.