[Gdal-dev] Projection import from ArcInfo grid (adf)

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Feb 25 00:00:03 EST 2003

VTP wrote:
> I'm using GDALOpen() to read an ArcInfo binary grid file (a directory of
> .adf files).  The projection is presumably specified in the file "prj.adf",
> which contains the following:
>
> Projection    LAMBERT
> Zunits        NO
> Units         METERS
> Spheroid      CLARKE1866
> Xshift        0.0000000000
> Yshift        0.0000000000
> Parameters
>  9 56  0.000 /* 1st standard parallel
>  11  0  0.000 /* 2nd standard parallel
> -84 20  0.000 /* central meridian
>  10 28  0.000 /* latitude of projection's origin
> 500000.00000 /* false easting (meters)
> 271820.52200 /* false northing (meters)
>
> The dataset opens successfully and allows me to read the grid values, but
> when i call GetProjectionRef(), it gives me the following string:
>
> 	"LOCAL_CS["LAMBERT",UNIT["METERS",1]]"
>
> This seems quite wrong; it's picking up the Lambert but missing the rest of
> the projection description.
>
> This is with GDAL 1.1.8 (not from CVS).  Am i doing something wrong or is
> this an issue with GDAL?

Ben,

OGRSpatialReference has very limited support for the variations possible with
the old style (Arc/Info 7) ESRI .prj files.  I have incorporated support for
LAMBERT projections in CVS this evening, as well as a few fixes to the datum
and spheroid handling.

The LOCAL_CS[] is what things fall back to when the projection is not supported.