[Gdal-dev] porting of gdal to (optional) libtool build finally completed

Simon Perkins s.perkins at lanl.gov
Tue Oct 14 13:18:10 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-14 at 07:53, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Thats good information.  I assume you have been pleased with it so far in
> actual use?
>
> While I am in no big rush to rework the GDAL build architecture again just
> now, I am wondering if OpenEV might not benefit from this.  Currently OpenEV's
> build structure is pretty half-assed, and OpenEV builds are currently pretty
> complicated.  Also, OpenEV requires Python, so we wouldn't have to worry about
> gripes from the folks who don't want to have to install Python.
>
> I will try to look at this at some point for OpenEV.

I would say that it's definitely worth looking into, with the caveat
that the scons is somewhat less mature than autotools. In particular the
documentation is sparse, though a swish new user guide is promised in
the next week or two. Approximately, I would say that scons can do
pretty much everything you want autoconf and automake to do, but its
shared library building abilities for obscure unix platforms are not yet
as complete as libtool. On the other hand, the fundamental design is
much cleaner and clearer than autotools. Definitely woprth considering
for python based systems.

Cheers,

Sy