[Gdal-dev] RE: Kakadu georeferencing

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Oct 14 13:46:32 EDT 2003

Chris G. Nicholas wrote:
> Just wondering if the Kakadu driver will properly pick up an external ".wld" file in the context of Minn Map Server.  We have a bunch of shtuff from before GeoJP2 was invented...
>
> pogo-> more S-18-00.wld
> 28.500000000000000
> 0.000000000000000
> 0.000000000000000
> 28.500000000000000
> 116023.500000000000000
> 997.500000000000000
> pogo->

Chris,

GDAL doesn't currently look for .wld files for JP2 files, but UMN MapServer
will always look for a .wld file for files read through GDAL if GDALGetGeoTransform()
returns an error.  Looking at the code, it seems it would better to change
this to look for the world file if the georeferencing is the null transform too.

   else if( layer->transform )
   {
       if (GDALGetGeoTransform( hDS, adfGeoTransform ) != CE_None)
           GDALReadWorldFile((char *)GDALGetDescription(hDS),
                             "wld", adfGeoTransform);

However, if you don't mind recompiling I have added .wld file support into
the CVS version of the JP2KAK driver just now.