[Gdal-dev] UTM to Lat/Lon

Matthew Harmon matt at matthewharmon.com
Wed Sep 3 15:22:51 EDT 2003

I’m a total newbie, so please excuse me if this is obvious.

I need to create a tool to convert GeoTIFF in UTM to image tiles in
geographic (lat/lon) projection.  It looks like the Warp API will do the
trick for me, but I have a few questions.

-          How do I set up the output coordinate system correctly?  It
appears I need to supply a WKT for the destination coordinate system, but I
don’t know how to set this up for geographic.
-          I’m looking at the “GDAL Warp API Tutorial” as well as the source
to gdalwarp and gdalwarp test.  Is this the place to be looking?

That should get me going
 however; I have other complicating issues that I’d
love to hear people’s suggestions on.

- The relationship between source GeoTIFF and destination imagery tiles may
be one-to-many or many-to-one.  In other words, one big 500 Meg GeoTIFF may
encompass many destination tiles, or one tile may require many GeoTIFF
images as input.  Is there an alpha channel or “null” color that can be used
for combining images?

- Is there an ARDG / CADRG input module out there anywhere?

Thanks for any hints/suggestions!