[Gdal-dev] MapTech / BSB Legal Issues

Jack Varga jvarga at boulder.net
Wed Sep 10 19:37:41 EDT 2003

EFF is the place to pose this excellent question.  My belief is their
request is without merit.  A friend and 3rd year law student
specializing in IP concurs but is digging further.  Curious though, was
it truly a "request" or an order for cease and desist?  If it was the
former, chances are their attorney's have already told them to ask
nicely as there was not much recourse otherwise.

I would simply take your original mail (include a reference to
http://www.maptech.com) and forward to one of the following...

Fred von Lohmann, EFF Senior Intellectual Property Attorney
fred at eff.org <mailto:fred at eff.org?SUBJECT=>

Wendy Seltzer, EFF  Staff Attorney (Fair Use & Intellectual Property)
wendy at eff.org <mailto:wendy at eff.org>

Jason M. Schultz, EFF Staff Attorney (Intellectual Property / reverse
engineering)
jason at eff.org <mailto:jason at eff.org>

...or...

ask at eff.org

...to let them decide who to forward it to.

The entire staff's bio's are at http://www.eff.org/contact/staff_bios.php

Relatedly, one of the counties here sells certain data (parcels and
address enhanced street center lines) for $.50 (US) per arc, exported to
shapefile.  They say that purchasers are constrained legally to "not"
make the data available to other parties, including web applications.
However, the information contained within those shapefiles (i.e.,
coordinate info) is essentially public domain. You can't copyright
coordinate info, so how do the likes of GDT, NavTech, etc., keep their
data proprietary and protected, yet useful?

Has anyone run across similar scenarios?

-jv