[Gdal-dev] gdal on amd64 needs -fPIC?

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.com
Thu Apr 1 04:49:37 EST 2004

On Tuesday 30 March 2004 15:27, Alessandro Amici wrote:
> Vincent,
>
> > > I just tried to compile gdal on my new amd64.
>
> luck you ;)
<grin>

> > More info:
> > both netcdf/hdf and gdal need -fPIC. I tried compiling gdal with -fPIC
> > while having hdf4 compiled without, and that didn't work out.
> > Might be that gdal when compiled without hdf4 support doesn't need -fPIC,
> > but as I need hdf4 support I didn't try that yet.
>
> do you use the standard (libtool) build or the old style one
> (--without-libtool)?
>
> in both cases it would be helpfull to have the configure command line that
> you use and a snipped of both compile and link commands.
> and the actual error message, obviously ;) !

Well I just took the effort to create a really really informative message for
you with make outputs and configure options and stuff like that, then in the
end the error doesn't show anymore. I did a cvs update before that. Did you
change things in cvs regarding -fPIC? Or was it something else (which I'll
have to find out then) that caused the error here?
Note that all this is with a HDF4 lib compiled *with* -fPIC.

Cheers,
Vincent.