[Gdal-dev] how to read SRTM files

Ethan Alpert ealpert at digitalglobe.com
Mon Dec 13 15:54:34 EST 2004

Looks like you're grabbing the "unfinished" data.

>From the Documentation directory:
ftp://e0dps01u.ecs.nasa.gov/srtm/Documentation/QuickStart.txt

"Height files have the extension .HGT and are signed two byte integers.
The
bytes are in Motorola "big-endian" order with the most significant byte
first,
directly readable by systems such as Sun SPARC, Silicon Graphics and
Macintosh.
DEC Alpha and most PCs use Intel ("little-endian") order so some
byte-swapping
may be necessary. Heights are in meters referenced to the WGS84 geoid.
Data
voids are assigned the value -32768."

You're going to need to do some processing before you can use these
files.

-e