[Gdal-dev] optimum overview settings?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Mar 12 16:45:30 EST 2004

Chapman, Martin wrote:
> The new pyramids just got added to the end of the file...so if you had
> an ovr file with 2, 4, 8, and you generated a new levels 2, 4, 8, 16 ...
> You would end up with a file of overviews like 2, 4, 8, 2, 4, 8, 16.

Martin,

Hmm, that isn't supposed to happen.  I just tried this with a small file and
had no problem:

gdaladdo utm.tif 2 4
gdaladdo utm.tif 2 4
gdalinfo utm.tif
Band 1 Block=512x16 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Gray
   Overviews: 256x256, 128x128

I also verified with tiffinfo that there were no extra overviews created.

I then did a test with a .bt file that uses external overviews and things
seemed to work fine with it.

So, if you can reproduce the error you mention with 1.2.0 then please
report via bugzilla and I will look into it.