[Gdal-dev] [gdaltindex] unable to open .shp?

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 09:04:12 EDT 2005

On Apr 6, 2005 7:17 AM, cout m <coutm at yahoo.fr> wrote:
> second i've got a problem with gdaltindex. When i try
> to make a tileindex on ecw files, a message in my
> konsole appears and marks :"ERROR 4 :unable to open
> index.shp or index.SHP".
>
> My shapelib seems to be ok. I don't understand where
> is matter, perhaps in my compilation.

-M-,

The gdaltindex utilty first tries to open an existing index
file with the filename you provide.  If that fails you get that
message, but gdaltindex will go ahead and create a new
index.  Currently there is no convenient way for me to
avoid the error message, but I have changed the code to
print out a message about "creating new index" that will hopefully
make things a bit clearer for users.  You aren't the first person to
be confused by this error message.

> In any case thank you for this lib, it's excellent!!!

Thanks!