[Gdal-dev] gdal_translate and vrt to ecw - unable to allocate enough memory

Ken Boss Ken.Boss at dnr.state.mn.us
Tue Aug 23 11:27:47 EDT 2005

Hello Frank and list--

I am attempting (again) to use a VRT full of geotiffs as input to gdal_translate (from FWTools0.9.9), outputting to ECW.  The VRT describes a 307060 x 464371 RGB mosaic.  I'm on a 3 Ghz WinXP machine w/1 GB RAM.

My command looks like:

gdal_translate -of ECW --config ECW_LARGE_OK YES -co target=95 d:\ecw_test\vrt\megamosaic.vrt d:\ecw_test\ecw\megamosaic.ecw

After a few seconds, I get an error:

Input file size is 307060, 464371
0.ERROR 1: An error has occurred: Error 46 "Could not allocate enough memory"  file "C:\warmerda\supportlibs\fw_ecwsdk_apr05\include\NCSError.h" line 53

This is an appreciated improvement over what I was seeing under FWTools0.9.8, where I would get a CPLMalloc() error after a half day or so of processing.  But obviously I am still unable to produce the file I'm after.

Is this to be considered a recognized limitation of this gdal_translate/vrt/ecw mix, or is there possibly some means of either reducing the required memory footprint, or pre-determining the amount of RAM I'd need to have installed in order to complete such a process?

BTW, of course the file referenced in the error message doesn't exist anywhere on my system.  I assume this is simply a compile-time artifact?

--Ken