[Gdal-dev] PGeo and ODBC support in OGR

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Dec 2 17:29:42 EST 2005

On 12/2/05, Tamas Szekeres <szekerest at gmail.com> wrote:
> Frank,
>
> After implementing such an enhancement in the ODBC driver I have
> experienced, that the random feature access (using GetFeature) have not been
> working without sustaining a fid column (It may be assigned to the Mapserver
> line as well).

Tamas,

The spatial query support (using xmin, ymin, xmax, ymax) will
no doubt have made it more important to actually select a column
to be the FID.  Otherwise the resultset changes each time the spatial
query is applied (or cleared) and the fids all become meaningless.

The ODBC_OGR_FID configuration option (via MapServer CONFIG
line or environment) can be used to pick the name of the column
to use for FIDs.   It defaults to OGR_FID.

>  Without using fid the feature had been returned from the
> entire result set with the same record number as the provided id.
>
> Does this change dissolve this problem.

The ODBC_OGR_FID should make it possible to avoid this problem.
I would add that Steve's planned "one pass query" support in mapserver
will also solve this problem in the mapserver context (I think) as
persistent FIDs are not longer so important.