[Gdal-dev] Ogrinfo with ESRI personal database

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Dec 9 12:35:29 EST 2005

On 12/9/05, Todd.Southen at bentley.com <Todd.Southen at bentley.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to use ogrinfo on an ESRI personal database mdb file but it
> just fails:
>
> ogrinfo -summary c:\temp\MnDOT\P-069_Database.mdb
> FAILURE:
> Unable to open datasource `c:\temp\MnDOT\P-069_Database.mdb' with the
> following drivers.
>   -> ESRI Shapefile
>   -> UK .NTF
>   -> SDTS
>   -> TIGER
>   -> S57
>   -> MapInfo File
>   -> DGN
>   -> VRT
>   -> AVCBin
>   -> REC
>   -> Memory
>   -> CSV
>   -> GML
>   -> ODBC
>   -> OCI
>
> I'm running this on Windows.  Which driver does it use?  The docs say it
> uses the ODBC driver, but when I look at the ogrodbcdriver.cpp it
> requires that the datasource name start with "ODBC:":

Todd,

It would appear you do not have a recent enough build of
GDAL/OGR.  If it were, it would include a PGeo driver in
the driver list.

The Personal Geodatabase driver does use ODBC, but is
distinct from the "plain" ODBC driver.   If you download
a very recent FWTools for win32 it should include the personal
geodatabase support (ie. 1.0.0a7):

  http://fwtools.maptools.org/